In our journey to financial freedom, here are some useful resources that I use to help us understand our finances, save money, and help me to start a blog.
- Here is a free template for a Bi-Weekly Budget that I created to use for our family. Having a budget is an important step to understanding your finances.
- The Credit Card Payment Calculator from DollarTimes will show you how many months it will take you to pay off your credit card at your current payment rate and how much interest you will be paying during that time.
- The Credit Card Payoff Calculator from DollarTimes will show you how much you need to pay each month to pay off your debt in the amount of time you set for yourself and how much interest you will pay during this time. Remember: The more you pay every month and the shorter the timeline, the less you will pay in interest to the credit card companies.
- OptOutPrescreen.com is service provided by Equifax, Innovis, and TransUnion (credit reporting agencies) to allow consumers to “opt-out” of pre-screened or pre-approved credit card and insurance offers in the mail under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). You can opt-out of these credit card offers for five years through the website but you need to complete the form on the website then mail it in order to opt-out permanently. You must also provide some personal information such as your date of birth, name, phone number, and social security number to opt-out. It will take up to 60 days for all pre-screened offers to stop. Visit the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) website on Prescreened Credit and Insurance Offers for more information.
- TIP: Shred the offers that you receive in the mail instead of throwing it in the trash to prevent identity theft.
- The FTC’s National Do Not Call Registry is a useful tool in blocking telemarketers from calling you by removing your number from their call list. To sign up for the registry, visit donotcall.gov or by calling 1-888-382-1222. Your phone number will be on the registry the day after you sign up but it does take 31 days for the sales calls to fully stop. These are the only ways you can join the Do Not Call Registry. If someone calls you to sign up with them, this is a scam. Do not give your phone number or any other information. Hang up! If you continue to receive sales calls, take note of their information and report them to the FTC.
- This simple Retirement Calculator from Dollar Times will give you an idea for how much you need to save every year for retirement but you should really talk to a financial planner who can factor in things like your retirement goals, debt, how much can you afford to save now, etc.
- Airbnb is a great way to save money while traveling. It also gives you the opportunity to meet new people and experience a new place in a whole new level. We used it during our trip to Japan in 2015. If you use my link, both of us can earn travel credit towards a new reservation.
- Ebates is a useful resource to save and earn money shopping online. They have deals with over 2000+ online stores and you can earn cash back on a portion of your purchase. If you use my link, I will earn commission at no additional cost to you.
- I use Groupon to save money eating out. I have found some great deals on my favorite restaurants. I’ve also used it to try out new restaurants. They also have some great deals on activities, goods, and getaways. If you use my link, I earn Groupon Bucks at no additional cost to you.
Start a Blog
- I use Bluehost to set up my WordPress blog. It cost $3.95/month and you get a free domain. It was easy for me to install WordPress and begin my blogging journey. I’ve used their 24/7 chat support several times (around 2am!) to ask them about technical issues which they were able to resolve quickly. If you use my affiliate link, I will earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
- The medical ID function on iphones will allow first responders to view important medical information (photo, name, birthday, medical conditions, medications, weight, height, and blood type) and find emergency contacts without figuring out how to unlock your phone. I’ve already made sure me and my husband’s iphones have updated medical and contact information. It only took 5 minutes to set up but I hope this will give first responders enough information to give us the right care in case of emergencies.